[council] New comment on gnso.icann.org

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Wed May 8 15:40:07 UTC 2013

All,

As you may have noticed, I have posted approximately once per quarter a
statement on the homepage at:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/index.htm> http://gnso.icann.org/en/index.htm

I haven't specifically highlighted this in the past although you may well
have seen the updates.

Below is a copy of the latest.

As ever, any comments or feedback welcome.

Jonathan

--

In the run-up to the ICANN meeting in Beijing, the GNSO Council's role as
policy manager within the GNSO was highlighted here for recognition and

Notwithstanding highlighting the GNSO's role, as the entity charged in the
bylaws of ICANN with policy development and providing recommendations to the
Board on substantive policies relating to generic top level domains, it is
incumbent on the GNSO Council to not only emphasize this position, but also
to demonstrate how we can execute our policy management role efficiently and
effectively. In Beijing, we recognised the need to form a working group on
policy and implementation and have now reached out to others in the broader
community to work with us on this critical topic. Initiatives such as this,
as part of a strategic and forward looking perspective, together with
maintaining productive output on bread-and-butter policy work will be where
we focus our attention in the months ahead.

ICANN's multi-stakeholder model is complex, dynamic and necessarily
evolving. The GNSO and the GNSO Council are vital organs within the
multi-stakeholder body. Therefore, we need to function effectively and look
carefully ahead, as to how we might dynamically evolve in future, in order
to do our part to ensure the health of that body. That sounds like an
interesting journey!