[council] New Expired Registration Recovery Policy will go into effect on 31 August 2013

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Mon May 13 21:24:03 UTC 2013

Dear GNSO Members,

The new Expired Registration Recovery Policy (https://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/consensus-policies/errp) will go into effect on 31 August 2013.

For background information, the proposed Expired Registration Recovery Policy ("ERRP") is intended to help align registrant expectations with registrar practices by establishing certain minimum communications requirements and making renewal and redemption of registrations uniformly available in prescribed circumstances. Following implementation of the policy, ICANN is instructed to create educational materials in consultation with interested stakeholders to help registrants properly manage their registrations.  Additional background material can be found here: https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/At-Large+Expired+Registration+Recovery+Policy+Workspace.

As part of the above-mentioned educational materials, ICANN staff, in consultation with interested community members, will be updating the Beginner's Guide to Domain Names to include relevant ERRP updates.  In addition, ICANN staff thought a video tutorial on the proper stewardship of a domain name could be an additional resource for Internet users.  I will be organizing a brief phone conference to discuss a proposed outline to the video tutorial in the next two weeks.

Any GNSO members that would be interested in participating in this video tutorial initiative should send an email to caitlin.tubergen at icann.org<mailto:caitlin.tubergen at icann.org> by Friday, 17 May, and I will be sure to include them in future communications.

I look forward to working with interested stakeholders.

Best regards,

Caitlin Tubergen
Registrar Relations and Contracts Manager
ICANN
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536
caitlin.tubergen at icann.o<mailto:caitlin.tubergen at icann.org>rg