[council] Fwd: Revised Draft Motion

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Tue May 14 15:40:44 UTC 2013

Hi Wendy,

Perhaps I could provide a bit of background about the current motion.
During the GNSO Council meeting on 10 April in Beijing, staff noted that
the Expert Working Group has indicated that its work could benefit from
the results of the work of the PDP Team on Translation and Transliteration
of Contact Information, and thus suggested revising the motion to reflect
that the PDP would be initiated and the Charter and Team be formed without
delay so that the result of this work could be used to inform the work of
the Expert Working Group (rather than visa versa).  When staff made its
original recommendation in the Final Issue Report to initiate the PDP but
delay forming the PDP Team, it was based on the assumption that the Expert
Working Group would move more quickly and thus could inform the PDP Team.
However, after consulting with staff support for the Expert Working Group
and with EWG members it appears that the opposite approach, as described
above, is the more useful one.  This is why the motion Ching has put
forward includes this recommendation.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Julie