[council] Final GAC communique

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Nov 26 19:05:04 UTC 2013

I would caution against simply asking the GAC whether they meant capital A GAC Advice when they are talking about earlier interventions, because they might say yes, and I don't think that would work very well in the earlier stages of a WG.  I think a better approach would be to suggest something like the following and then ask them if it makes sense and could possibly work:  " GAC input in the earlier stages of a WG does not have to be formal advice, but it would be helpful to get some informal information like what issues they think may have public policy implications as well as  any other input they have during PDP so that the WG could discuss it.  If they could also provide a point of contact to interface with on the input they provide, that would be helpful.  The input could come from individuals from the GAC who understand government concerns or it could come from a small informal group of interested GAC members participating in their individual capacities with a commitment to keep the full GAC informed.  Of course GAC consensus input is also welcome as was done with the IGO-INGO but we understand that may not always be possible, especially early in a WG."

Chuck