[council] GNSO Council Action Items

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Thu Oct 10 13:20:23 UTC 2013

Hi Maria,

I know we did not discuss this any further and had intended to.  Is there
any progress to report from your side?

Essentially, from a Council perspective, the key issue to be covered in 2 as
I understand it, is not so much on the detail of the specific
reconsideration request but more on the reconsideration mechanism as an
accountability and transparency measure.

Given that all or almost all reconsideration requests have been denied in
the past, due to the narrowness of scope of the reconsideration process, the
Council raised the question as to whether or not the reconsideration process
provides a sufficient or complete A & T mechanism.

An example given to illustrate this was, what if the staff followed
procedure perfectly but produced an outcome that was "wrong".  The
reconsideration would likely be denied but the outcome would be
unsatisfactory.

Therefore the point we need to make to the ATRT is to highlight that the
reconsideration request is an insufficient mechanism and that we would like
them to consider additional mechanisms to ensure A & T.

Time is moving on this one.  Do others agree with my recollection and
understanding and can anyone comment on whether or not we have missed the
boat as far as communicating this to the ATRT?

Thanks,

Jonathan