[council] A way forward on the Specification 13 question

Thomas Rickert rickert at anwaelte.de
Sat Apr 26 15:34:23 UTC 2014

Bret, all,
thanks for your e-mail, Bret. That is much appreciated.

You are not the first to see this as an inconsistency with policy recommendation 19.

I think it was Alan, who was also at the table in 2007, who also stated that this scenario was not considered at the time.
While we are waiting for more feedback, let's just work on the basis of the assumption that it is inconsistent and in fact think about what this means as you suggested.

It would mean that this part of Spec. 13 would be in violation of the original policy recommendations and I guess the consequence would be that additional policy work would need to be done to address this.

But: Is this policy work really required to achieve the goal of giving .BRAND TLDs sufficient protection (and I have not heard anyone who did not sympathize with the request as such)?

I guess the answer is no. Let's think this through.

1. Registries can already ask for an exemption from the Registry Code of Conduct for exclusive use TLDs. Those, who qualify for this exemption would not need to base their choice of registrars on the requested clause of Spec. 13. However, I am sure there are many .BRAND TLDs that would not qualify as exclusive use TLDs, which is why they could not successfully ask for an exception. Interim result: This is only a partial solution at best.

2. All Registries, not only .BRANDs haver far-reaching opportunities to draft their policies. They can establish, eligibility requirements as to who can be a registrant, they can introduce validation requirements, they can ask for technical features that are non-standard and they can determine a pricing structure including payment of deposits to name just a few parameters. By using these tools, all Registries have the possibility to achieve exactly the goal of limiting the number of Registrars down to zero. I do not believe that a registrar would take the effort to be onboarded with a Registry knowing that there is not going to be any substantial business.

I have not been able to identify reasons why this part of Spec. 13 is needed at all because of the above.

A response could therefore be to state that:

- The Council appreciates the request.
- There is an inconsistency with Rec. 19 (at least identifies by some).
- Fixing that would potentially require policy work.
- The Council recommends not to grant the exception.
- The Council believes that the new gTLD program provides tools for all applicants to achieve the result they wish by crafting their policies accordingly.
- This solution would maintain equal treatment or Registrars and avoid granting exceptions that could potentially lead to gaming the system at a later stage.

Certainly, we need to wait for more feedback to come in and that might change my suggested approach, but I guess there is an issue at least for some and by responding as I outlined, we could highlight that and yet be constructive.

Thanks
Thomas