[council] A way forward on the Specification 13 question

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-Systems.net
Mon Apr 28 09:08:51 UTC 2014

Dear council-members,

after extensive discussion of the question put before us, the RrSG has
likewise found this excemption to be inconsistent with both the language
as well as with the spirit of the recommendation.

The question we have been asked is not whether we like the proposed
exemption or can live with it, but rather a very simple one: Is the
proposed incorporation of an ability to restrict nondiscriminatory
registrar access to dotBrand TLDs is not consistent with the intent and
wording of Recommendation 19, or is it not. The recommendation
explicitly states that "Registries  (...) may not discriminate among
(ICANN) accredited registrars". In other words, the language of the
Recommendation 19 contradicts the proposed exemption.

Therefore, to find the additional language to be consistent with the
recommendation requires substantial arguments to that effect that would
allow such an interpretation. To find it consistent because one likes
the result or can live with the result does not fulfill this
requirement. For such cases where implementation would conflict with
existing policy, further policy work adjusting or confirming the Policy
Recommendation is required. The GNSO Council should take the lead in
initiating this policy work.

Beyond the grammatical inconsistency of the Recommendation, the intent
of the Recommendation also indicates inconsistency.

As detailed in the final report on the Introduction of New Generic Top
Level Domains, the recommendation was supported by all GNSO
Constituencies and Mrs Doria. According to the recollections of members
of the new gTLD policy committee at the time the Recommendation was
agreed upon, the concept of restricting registrar access was discussed
in the context of community TLDs, which are in many ways similar to
dotBrands. As registries have the ability under the Registry Agreement
to restrict registrar access to their TLDs by establishing reasonable,
nondiscriminatory accreditation criteria, it was ultimately agreed that
discrimintation between registrars should not be permitted.

In fact, the only public comment with regard to this recommendation came
from the RyC, which was concerned that small, specialized registries may
not be able to find a registrar to carry them. Note that this concern
deals with a completely different problem. This concern led to the
Vertical Integration Working group and the subsequent board decision
allowing vertical integration. The idea of allowing only a few
registrars does not appear in the Final Report.

Finally, as registrants, dotBrands are perfectly free to discriminate
between registrars. The Recommendation only deals with registries. By
establishing certain registration requirements and policies, registries
can further eliminate the ability of registrars to provide registry
services beyond the eligible circle of registrants.

Best regards,

Volker Greimann

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.