[council] MSI Panel - updated response

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Tue Apr 29 09:05:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the edits, John. I personally like them and feel they are helpful in providing stronger language clarifying the GNSO’s position on the “DRAFT” blueprint. I have one question though, regarding the added comment on the use of expert networks:

“At times, ICANN budget has been cited as a barrier to such additional resources, but in general, the Council has not found this a barrier and has welcomed ICANN policy staff full engagement in identifying and bringing onboard subject matter experts specific to PDPs.”

Is there a reference available to support this statement? I’d be interested in learning more about the circumstances when/why additional expert resources were deemed desirable, why the ICANN budget was determined to be the limiting factor in obtaining these resources and how ICANN policy staff managed to resolve the issue to the Council’s satisfaction.

I bring this up because over the past couple of years, I have observed that both GNSO PDPs and other ICANN activities have come up short in answering questions relevant to how gTLD policies are or may be in conflict with privacy and data protection laws. Examples include the “thick” WHOIS PDP WG’s findings, the RDS EWG status update report (check section IV-d) and the data retention requirements of the RAA. These questions aren’t impossible to answer, but in these circumstances, it appears the necessary expertise was not available.

I was not aware that ICANN’s budget was an issue in our (the ICANN community's) ability to resolve issues such as these. If it is, I hope we can address it with a more constructive approach than just affirming it as a barrier. This seems to be a problem we need to find a solution for. I wouldn’t mind having something to that effect in our response to the MSI panel.

Thanks.

Amr