[council] About Designing a 21st Century ICANN

Klaus Stoll kdrstoll at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 21:12:49 UTC 2014

Dear Friends

Greetings. I have now read the report twice and I think this report
merits an extended reply by the GNSO.

I will refrain from derisory comments about the report as far as a I
can, only one, the first page looks like IG buzzword bingo on steroids
and like steroids it replaces substance with short term illusions!

A good example is the first buzzword "crowdsource". Crowdsource is a
good thing, but as it is used in the report it is just a distraction the
real problem. The problem of IG in general and of ICANN in particular is
not a lack of participation, it is not even a question of language and
acronyms. The uncomfortable fact remains true that Cyberspacetoday
resembles a country where 1% of the population governs 99% of the
population and 98% of these don't even know that the 1% exist! This
represents a real legitimacy problem for all current IG processes. Crowd
sourcing is only real and legitimateif it is based on knowledge that is
available to everybody in appropriate forms. Everybody needs to be able
to be in the crowd and not just a self-elected elite. "The report says:
(page4), "For an institution to merit the peoples trust, it first has to
trust its people". The people we are talking about here is the global
Internet user community, all of them. Trust can only come when all the
people know their rights and responsibilities. In the case of IG the
responsibility to inform all is not simply discharged by awareness
campaigns and nice pictures, but by demonstrating the relevance of IG to
every level of its user community. People engage with things only if
they are relevant to them, awareness is a result of relevance,
empowerment and trust are the result of trusting the internet users in
understanding the true significance and deep relevance of IG in all our
lives. (Mikey, here is I think also part of the answer to your question
regarding getting people involved into the Wgs, its not the language,
its not the time, its that we have to find a way to make the WG topics
relevant to a large number of people. This will not happen if we wait
that people come to us, we need to get out to them).IG institutions can
only be legitimate and successful if they put the awareness building and
empowerment at the center of their thinking and doing. All governance
structures for Cyberspace need to be user, not expert group centric.
Accountability can only come from the awareness of all what IG is
accountable for. Transparency in contracts and processes only makes
sense when all understand what the contracts are about. Innovation has
to come from informed participation based on relevance not engineered
organizational processes.

I am surprised by the liberal recommendation by the report of on-line
tools that are only available to an elite and not the average online
user in a developing country. Like the whole report, these
recommendations reflect a first world centered view on IG and technology.

Are other councilors also disturbed by the liberal use in the report of
the "ICANN should..." phrase followed even sometimes by a time line and
the clear indication that the expectation is on speedy implementation
without much discussion and control? Maybe the authors of the report
should be the first who take their own recommendations serious:"In the
future, we need to eschew the kind of self-serious pomposity that gets
in the way of change and embrace humility and fallibility as touchstones
to progress". Wise words, well spoken, unfortunately completely ignored
in the very same report.

Happy to work with fellow councilors on a more detailed reply.

Yours

Klaus