[council] About Designing a 21st Century ICANN

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Feb 4 12:49:01 UTC 2014

On 4 Feb 2014, at 1:23 am, john at crediblecontext.com wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> My coffee came through my nose this morning when I read the blueprint from the multistakeholder strategy panel.  But, while language like this: "engaging people in meaningful and productive conversations about how to redesign the way ICANN runs itself is difficult because the conversation gets caught, on the one hand, between the scylla of broad generalities and geopolitics without regard to the specifics of ICANN’s day-to-day work, and the charybdis of mind-numbing technical detail on the other" is a bit overblown, it also works as mis-direction. There is no argument but that generalities, geopolitics and technical detail are a part of ICANN's life, but I would argue with "broad" and "mind-numbing."  That kind of language tips the player's hand.

	I for one enjoy discussions of both the generalities of geopolitics, and discussions with a great deal of technical detail, where appropriate, and feel that both forms of discussion have important roles to play in ICANN - I agree it is disappointing to see them regarded as disasters to be avoided!.

	I also, however, enjoy the occasional over the top allusion to Greek mythology. A little flamboyant language can liven things up (I still remember Maria's use of the term 'pantouflage' in particularly fine blog post about ICANN).

> Further, by pegging effectiveness to the use of expert networks and linking legitimacy to crowdsourcing at each stage of decision making may only hint at the future shape of ICANN but it is clear in its view that the current version is no longer appetizing.  I will likely think hard about that as I pack for the trip to Singapore.

	While techniques such as expert networks and crowdsourcing may have their uses, let us hope the virtues of what ICANN does are understood and retained as part of the process.

	Regards

		David