[council] framing the discussion on SGs and role of the Council

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Wed Feb 5 23:43:42 UTC 2014

<grin> i yield on the subject-line — looks good to me.

sorry this reply took so long, email got thrown overboard to cope with complications on other fronts

OK - points of agreement (i’m really glad we agree on these two fundamental points)

— we are not overseer of the whole GNSO

— the Council is overseer of the policy process

points of discussion

— SGs are self-organizing, organized with a by-your-leave from the Board, without need of further oversight.  i need convincing on that last bit - there’s the possibility of trouble when there are functional organizations that report to nobody, not even a coordinating body.  btw, none of these are do-or-die issues for me, i put them more in the “opportunities lost” column.

— Council as service organization to SGs when they have common cause to effect change beyond GNSO policy.  i also need convincing on this one - can you point me at documentation that supports this role?  it seems quite different than my understanding of what we’re supposed to do.

thanks!  again, sorry about the sluggish reply.

mikey