[council] Theresa Swinehart on the Creation of the President's Global Advisory Groups

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Wed Feb 26 12:50:04 UTC 2014

hi all,

i believe the official phrase from the Junior Space-Rangers Management Handbook is "it’s better to beg forgiveness than ask permission” and i agree with Avri and Maria — that’s an approach that only works once in a while.  another phrase from that same Handbook reads “the beatings will continue until morale improves.”

on a more serious note, i think one way to make sense out of what is going on is to compare the tension between the community and the administration with the tension that exists between the faculty and the administration of an institution of higher education.  i still have lumps in my head from when i learned these lessons the hard way.

- faculty (community) should be careful not to run the institutional infrastructure

- administration should be careful not to deliver the core mission

- talk in advance when it is not clear who should be taking the lead

- everybody should know whether the Board is active or passive and react appropriately

we’re pretty seriously out of tolerances on all four of these right now, in my view.  and we appear to be in a runaway positive feedback loop that’s amplifying the problem rather than damping it down.

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)