[council] Notes from today's GNSO Council call

Novoa, Osvaldo onovoa at antel.com.uy
Thu Feb 27 17:27:46 UTC 2014

Thank you very much Mikey, it's very useful.
Best regards,
Osvaldo

El 27/02/2014, a las 14:52, "Mike O'Connor" <mike at haven2.com<mailto:mike at haven2.com>> escribió:

hi all,

as many of you know, i’m an obsessive note-taker in meetings.  i thought i would share my notes from the call this morning with this list and ask you to let me know if you would like me to continue sending them to this list as well.  these are mostly for me, and my ISPCP colleagues (so pay no attention to the action-items, those are mostly for me).  feel free to sing out if you find these annoying or unhelpful.  these are NOT official minutes, just personal notes of one member.

disclaimer — these are my notes and may contain errors of fact or understanding.  if something in here makes you unhappy, check with me or the person before taking extreme action.  :-)

also note that item 6 and item 4 were reversed on the agenda, which is why these notes are not in strictest numeric sequence.

mikey

Council call - 27-Feb 2014

 *   + - Item 1: Administrative matters (10 mins)

    *   1.1 Roll Call
    *   + - 1.2 Statement of interest updates
       *   Maria Farrell
       *   ~ https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Maria+Farrell+SOI <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Maria+Farrell+SOI>
    *   1.3 Review/amend agenda
    *   + - 1.4. Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meeting per the GNSO Operating Procedures:
       *   Minutes of the GNSO Council meetings 23 January 2014 were posted as approved on 17 February 2014.

+ - Item 2: Opening Remarks / Review of Projects & Action List (10 mins)

    *   Review focus areas and provide updates on specific key themes / topics
    *   Include review of Projects List and Action List.
    *   + - Comments or questions arising.
       *   Action: note a diary entry to review the list prior to each meeting - and forward to the ISPCP list

Item 3: Consent agenda (0 mins)

+ - Item 4: UPDATE & DISCUSSION – GNSO Engagement with the work of the ICANN Strategy Panels (15 mins)

    *   + - Here the Council will receive an update on any relevant interaction with and output from the strategy panels and discuss any appropriate action going forward.

       *   + - Update:
          *   + - Strat Panels are out for comment

             *   ~ icann.org > En > News > Public-comment > Strategy-panels-25feb14-en <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/strategy-panels-25feb14-en.htm>
             *   ~ icann.org > En > News > Announcements > Announcement-2-25feb14-en <http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-25feb14-en.htm>

Fadi's recent update to AC/SO chairs -- on role panels and their role in the strategy process -- concern about top-down was discussed

+ - MSI panel --

             *   + - 16 proposals (here's a link to my little matrix of the proposals -- arrayed by Goal <--> Tool and Participation <--> Policy)

                *   ~ haven2.com > Wp-content > Uploads > 2007 > 07 > PDP-Overview-GAC-GNSO-v5 <http://www.haven2.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/PDP-Overview-GAC-GNSO-v5.jpg>

+ - Jonathan has reached out -- got off to a bit of a slow start -- but meetings 2 weeks ago and yesterday

                *   + - flag waving - we're the Council and the GNSO - your work feels as though it overlaps our remit - so we are very tuned to you work

                   *   Novak offered to do some kind of interview -- Jonathan was uncomfortable

+ - Yesterday's meeting

                   *   working toward a meeting with 1/2 members of the staff (govLab) people in singapore

opportunity to home in on a subset of the recommendations that are more closely related to the policy work of the GNSO

+ - 2 issues

                *   + - "top down" concern
                   *   Jonathan: best aimed at Fadi not the MSI panel
       *   + - Discussion
          *   + - Berard
             *   + - "this is something we need to talk about" reenforces the "executivification" of ICANN -- it's really hard for a part time person to stay above the raging water -- the community is becoming more professional -- this is driving some of our community members mad -- the more we can do to foster discussion at the broadest level in the community, the better

                *   Jonathan shares concern over the raging water
                *   Jonathan emphasises distinction between MSI content and MSI chartering
          *   + - Amr
             *   + - commisioning is very top down -- there is a lot of work going on -- that's where the changes would have to be reviewed

                *   doesn't feel quite as concerned as others are

+ - Jonathan - we have the opportunity to engage -- maybe a written response to the panel from the council

                   *   reaction to their work AND
                   *   work that the GNSO is doing
          *   + - Stoll
             *   + - we need to inform them to alert them to overlaps AND we need to inform administration of concerns directly

                *   comments seem to go into a black hole
                *   be careful in the engagement
          *   + - Chiao
             *   volunteers -- substantial proportion of cycles going to IG issue

registries -- implementation requirements, additional load of IG work -- overloaded is not just limited to volunteers in non-contracted parties.  Ry's and Rr's are struggling to keep up with implementation requirements in addition to policy-making and IG discussion.  Very hard, especially for smaller registries.

+ - ICANN is now representing all of our voices -- will people outside of ICANN have a chance to talk with the community directly?  Is ICANN trying to represent us, rather than letting that conversation take place directly?

                *   maybe it's time for constituencies to step out
          *   + - Greimann
             *   topics are very worthwhile -- also helpful to have an outside voice -- however i think this effort should have come in the ICANN way -- thus they have a bit of a birth defect because of the way they were launched -- we shouldn't be deferential, give advice, should be seen as comparable to the GAC

          *   + - Greenberg
             *   MSI - remember they were put in place to comment on the *whole* MS model, not just GNSO -- their remit is broader - they were asked to suggest changes - informed process --  they DID suggest changes and we need to embrace/refine their suggestions without appearing defensive