[council] IGO/RC motion

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Thu Jul 24 08:44:35 UTC 2014

Alan (as well as James and others who have contributed to this and related
threads),

I think you have captured it very well in asking what exactly is being
sought by the NGPC and, particularly, are there compromises which may be
acceptable that we are not aware of.

It is a fair point to ask about the communications and I assure you that
Thomas and myself have worked behind the scenes.
The challenge is that we have got clear indications of what might be
acceptable, certainly in so far as the IGOs are concerned i.e. a
notification service, but this has not been provided in writing or in a
meeting with a representative or representatives of the NGPC so the Council
does not have the benefit of this information.
Perhaps as a consequence but in any event and, as you pointed out in your
mail of 15 July, the text of the proposed policy wording appears to offer
more (than the minimum requested) in the case of the IGOs and less in the
case of the RCRC.

Therefore, it seems to me that before we invoke a procedure that has some
contention, we need to be as sure as we absolutely can be that we are
invoking the procedure to deal with exactly what is being requested / may
produce a satisfactory outcome.

Hence the thinking along the lines Thomas has suggested i.e. as follows:

1. Let's make sure we are clear on and comfortable with how we invoke the
procedure
(Personally I found Mary's briefing note of very helpful in this regard).

2. Let's seek to get absolute (or as near as we can) clarity on what the
NGPC is thinking via written or attended meeting input.

Then, hopefully, we can somewhat smoothly put at least this aspect of this
very time-consuming process behind us.

Jonathan