[council] IGO INGO Final Issue Report & Motion for Council

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Thu Jun 5 15:29:11 UTC 2014

Thank-you Brian,

These seem reasonable to me.

Hopefully to Thomas as well.

Jonathan

From: Winterfeldt, Brian J. [mailto:brian.winterfeldt at kattenlaw.com]
Sent: 05 June 2014 13:38
To: council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: RE: [council] IGO INGO Final Issue Report & Motion for Council

Dear Jonathan:

I wish to offer the following amendment, on behalf of the IPC, to the first
motion on our agenda—namely the motion to initiate a PDP on access to
curative rights protection mechanisms.

The GNSO Council hereby initiates a PDP to evaluate: (i) whether the UDRP
and/or URS should be amended (to enable their access and use by IGOs and
INGOs whose identifiers had been recommended for protection by the IGO-INGO
PDP WG); and (ii) if so, in what way;, or (ii) whether a separate
narrowly-tailored procedure modeled on these curative rights protection
measures to apply only to protected IGO and INGO identifiers should be
developed.

I would ask that the Council also consider implementing a similar amendment
within the PDP WG Charter itself.  I do hope that these minor changes will
be accepted as friendly, as their primary goal is to align the language more
closely with the recommendation in the final issues report (which follows)
and delineate two clear options.

Staff therefore recommends that the GNSO Council commence a PDP on the
specific issue described in this Issue Report, i.e. exploring whether the
UDRP and URS should be amended, and if so in what way; or whether a separate
narrowly tailored procedure designed, to enable curative protection for IGOs
and INGOs should be developed.

In short, as it stands, I think the semicolon and numeral (ii) are slightly
out of place, and might confuse two otherwise very clear options for the WG
to consider.

I look forward to discussing this suggested amendment with everyone on our
call.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Head of Internet Practice
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
2900 K Street NW, North Tower - Suite 200 / Washington, DC 20007-5118
p / (202) 625-3562 f / (202) 339-8244
brian.winterfeldt at kattenlaw.com / www.kattenlaw.com
<http://www.kattenlaw.com/>

  _____