[council] Crowdsourcing a bi-ennial performance review of the ICANN CEO

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Sat Mar 1 12:27:08 UTC 2014

i like the idea of a review by the community.

i was uncomfortable with the motion that John wrote, which a) seemed too GNSO-focused and b) launched a review without first taking some time to describe what the goals/process would be.

i also like the idea of nudging this toward the Board, or some other body that speaks for all the AC/SOs.  the trouble i see with that idea is that the Board may very well come back and say

	- we already give Fadi performance feedback, why are you coming to us with this?

	- we don’t speak for the community, we tend to the larger interests of ICANN

how about this for an alternative approach…  what if Jonathan and the other AC/SO leaders put together their own “Montevideo Statement” (after consultation with their respective gangs) that assessed their view of the current situation and, among other things, called for the chartering and launch of such a review, independent of the Board?

this reminds me a bit of the climate that led to the creation of the DSSA — which was consciously chartered as a CCWG.  the Board eventually screwed the DSSA up, but we got a lot done until they did.  maybe we wire this one up a little more tightly, to avoid Board meddling this time around.

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)