[council] virtual conference -- Bret Faucett was only 10 years ahead of his time -- maybe this platform would work for ICANN?

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Sat Mar 1 12:58:13 UTC 2014

hi all,

i loved Bret’s idea of doing an ICANN meeting in 2nd Life — it didn’t work, but mostly for technical reasons.

there’s a domain conference coming up (right spang in the middle of ICANN London, dang it) that’s being hosted on a really interesting platform that may be part of a trend.  i *think* this is the platform they’ve built their conference on;

	http://virtualconferences.com/index.html

here’s a link to the conference that caught my eye

	http://domainindex.com/webfair3/home.html#

i would die and go to heaven if ICANN had something like this available and we could learn how to use it effectively in our work.  note the tricky word “effectively” in there — i have no idea whether there are show-stoppers in terms of connectivity or privacy or language.  but the possibilities for “almost as good as face to face meetings, without the cost/pain of travel” strike me as worth pursuing.

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)