[council] CCWG Ig and NetMundial statements

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Mar 6 16:43:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

While listing the effort as un-chartered may seem a bit strong to some,
'Ad Hoc' is a venerable name and in fact is a name from our history the
"International Ad Hoc Committee (IAHC or the Ad Hoc Committee) in
September 1996, to resolve DNS management issues" of Green and White
paper fame.

I do agree with your constraints.

And yes, I am willing to work with you on finding an acceptable  wording
for the disclaimer, despite my concerns that no one will reading it and
they will consider it a formal ICANN contribution.

avri

On 06-Mar-14 16:23, Mike O'Connor wrote:

> ouch…
>
> no agreed-to charter?  that’s troubling to me too, from a process
> standpoint.
>
> i’d be OK
>
> - not extending a formal GNSO Council endorsement, either at all or
> until the SG/Constituencies have had a chance to weigh in
>
> - putting a place for each AC/SO/SG/Constituency to endorse on the
> submission and make it clear that none have yet
>
> - rewording the disclaimer a bit.
>
> i’m uncomfortable with a disclaimer that is as strong as what you are
> suggesting though.  using the words “unchartered” and “ad-hoc” seems
> to err a bit too much the other way, almost invalidating all the work
> that has been done, which seems a shame given how hard people have
> worked.
>
> does that show you a way forward?  want to take a crack at revised
> disclaimer language?
>
> mikey
>

> On Mar 6, 2014, at 9:50 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> My problem is with a un-chartered ad-hoc group making a statement
>> in any name but the name of its members.  Even if it contains a
>> weak and confusing disclaimer.  They are not an ICANN cross
>> community working group by any definition of ICANN WG.
>>
>> If they were to call themselves the CC Ad-hoc group on Ig I would
>> be less insistent. But until they have managed to go through the
>> gruel of chartering I think we are messing with the processes we
>> are supposed to guard if we allow them to call themselves a CCWG in
>> a submission to an international audience.
>>
>> I know it may seem petty to some, but in these international fora,
>> something that comes with an official sounding name tends to be
>> treated as the official work, even if there is a disclaimer (who
>> reads those?)
>>
>> And in the disclaimer I would request it be stronger and that it
>> indicate it is not a chartered group within ICANN.
>>
>> It is not our job to get into its content, unless perhaps requested
>> to do so by our Stakeholder groups, but we want to be careful about
>> even appearing to endorse it without having given the group an
>> official status.
>>
>> avri
>>

>> On 05-Mar-14 20:39, Mike O'Connor wrote:
>>> hi Avri,
>>>
>>> i’m just tuning back into this project.  the draft i’m looking at
>>> is at
>>>
>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BOpCmeE4YL3cat_6oN5RaNvDgvEYO-HS82gRzc_aRjo/mobilebasic?pli=1

is that the best snapshot of the current state of affairs?  if so, it