[council] ICANN Singapore : What to watch out for

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Tue Mar 11 09:29:10 UTC 2014

All,

I was asked with relatively short notice to provide content for the meeting
guide in a "What to watch out for" format.

Please see the following for what I have provided:

The GNSO is the body within ICANN that is charged with developing policy for
generic domain names and the GNSO Council is responsible for managing that
policy development.  The GNSO Council work commences ahead of the main
meeting schedule, typically with our GNSO working sessions over the weekend.
As with almost everything we do, these are open to all within the GNSO and
indeed the wider ICANN community.  You are welcome!  On Saturday  we are
typically are focussed on interaction with GNSO Working Groups and then on
Sunday with other key groups such as the ICANN Board and the Government
Advisory Committee (GAC).  Working Groups are comprised of dedicated
volunteers with an interest in the specific topic being tackled and are open
to all from the outset.  They are the backbone of GNSO policy making and, as
the name readily suggests, where the work is actually undertaken.  With
respect to interaction with other groups, effective interaction between the
GNSO policy work and the GAC has emerged as a key area for potential
improvement and development.  At the Singapore meeting we will see the joint
GNSO/GAC Consultation Group report on its work during the joint GNSO/GAC
meeting on Sunday.

Thanks,

Jonathan