[council] Singapore Agenda Item: New gTLDs, Subsequent Application Rounds

Bret Fausett bret at nic.sexy
Fri Mar 14 15:39:10 UTC 2014

Dear Councillors,

I would like to propose that we add some time on our Singapore agenda for discussing next steps in preparation for Round 2 of the new gTLD launch. As you may know, in the Applicant Guidebook, ICANN wrote the following about subsequent new gTLD rounds:

1.1.6 Subsequent Application Rounds

ICANN’s goal is to launch subsequent gTLD application
rounds as quickly as possible. The exact timing will be
based on experiences gained and changes required after
this round is completed. The goal is for the next application
round to begin within one year of the close of the
application submission period for the initial round.

ICANN has committed to reviewing the effects of the New
gTLD Program on the operations of the root zone system
after the first application round, and will defer the
delegations in a second application round until it is
determined that the delegations resulting from the first
round did not jeopardize root zone system security or
stability.

It is the policy of ICANN that there be subsequent
application rounds, and that a systemized manner of
applying for gTLDs be developed in the long term.

The "the close of the application submission period for the initial round” was May, 2012, so the goal for the launch of Round 2 has already been missed, by a material amount of time. I think we all would agree that many aspects of the program, from the application process to the review and implementation, should be reviewed and revisited.

Let’s spend some time discussing “subsequent application rounds" and see if we can come to a shared understanding of what the proper next steps would be, including the role of the Council and the GNSO in the review process.

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone in Singapore.

       Bret

--
Bret Fausett, Esq. • General Counsel, Uniregistry, Inc.
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 200 • Playa Vista, CA 90094-2536
310-496-5755 (T) • 310-985-1351 (M) • bret at uniregistry.com
— — — — —

310-496-5755 (T) • 310-985-1351 (M) • bret at nic.sexy
— — — — —