[council] DATA RETENTION WAIVER OVH SAS

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Mon Mar 17 10:58:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

I had meant to send an email about this earlier, but then the U.S. gov decided to steal the spotlight and attention (including mine) from most other issues. I was curious about the process and circumstances regarding this announcement:

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-12mar14-en.htm

Last year, the EU's Article 29 Data Protection Working Party sent a letter to ICANN (http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/kohnstamm-to-crocker-chehade-06jun13-en), requesting waivers to EU-based registrars, but ICANN did not seem to respond in agreement in their reply (http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/jeffrey-to-kohnstamm-20sep13-en).

So what changed? Was the ICANN Procedure For Handling Conflicts with Privacy Law used? Was it something else? I believe this is something worth taking notice of, especially with the ongoing WHOIS activities?

I can’t seem to find any details? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Amr