[council] Singapore Agenda Item: New gTLDs, Subsequent Application Rounds

Bret Fausett bret at nic.sexy
Tue Mar 18 16:04:20 UTC 2014

> do we need another round or could we recommend that we go into a first come first served methodology.  Sure some will rush the starting gun, but it would simplify mechanisms greatly.  And various forms of batching could stil occur.

Avri, I think that is the end state goal. Section 1.1.6 of the Guidebook stated: "It is the policy of ICANN that...a systemized manner of applying for gTLDs be developed in the long term.” I still remember back in November, 2000, at the conclusion of selecting the seven first new gTLDs, Vint Cerf said something to the effect that ‘he looked forward to the day when registry accreditation was as boring and routine as registrar accreditation.” (paraphrase) I think we may still have some pent up demand that will have to be addressed by batching, but one of the things that we might well consider now is what the end state will look like, so we can begin working toward it.

        — Bret