[council] can somebody remind me what the "Teresa Swinehart Update" item is on Sunday?

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Wed Mar 19 13:00:05 UTC 2014

hi all,

one of the nice things about a poor memory, that is failing, is the frequent opportunity to go “oh!  i remember now!”  :-)

	oh!  i remember now!

by the way — i also can’t remember if i shared this little thought exercise i did on an earlier draft of their recommendations — the details are wrong now (i haven’t had time to really grind through their final draft, that’s airplane reading) but the concept still works for me.  i’ve attached that little picture to this note.

i think their stuff is fine — but i want to evaluate the relevance/usefulness of their proposals along at least three continuums:

	Goals <—> Tools

	Participation <—>  Policy Making

	Working Groups <—> SG/Constituencies

the little picture i’ve attached only does two dimensions, i thought of the third one later.  there may well be more.

their work would have been improved by having a few knowledgeable people selected as part of the “expert working group", but hey that’s true for almost all of them.  we’ve *got* to defend that “working group” brand better in the future.

thanks all.

mikey

PS.  sorry for throwing the NCSG under the bus — i’m quoted as saying that they would be a great place to experiment with Liquid Democracy.  nope, i don’t remember saying that (see how handy a failing memory is?), but in that particular instance i also can’t imagine *why* i would have said it.  i’ll own the words, there’s no unringing that bell.  however...

i bet what i *meant* to say, and which i think might be true, is that the *constituencies and SGs of the non-contracted parties house* of the GNSO might be a good place to try some of those things out.  mostly, what i was trying to get at is that there are some places where some of those ideas would be a Really Bad Idea (working groups, and the Contracted Parties House).  we non-contracted SG/constituencies have a need to broaden our reach and do a better job of preparing people to be effective participants in WGs. some of these ideas might be good things to experiment with.  but i like to put myself in the boat with everybody else, not throw some of us under the bus.  sorry about that.