[council] A way forward on the Specification 13 question

Bret Fausett bret at nic.sexy
Mon May 5 21:24:15 UTC 2014

Thomas,

Thank you for getting us started with the discussion of a motion for our next meeting. The general sense of the registry constituency is that we ought to delete the third clause, which provides: "3. that the Council requests the ICANN Board to implement appropriate safeguards for future new gTLD application rounds to ensure that Recommendation 19 is not eroded and that any rights granted to .BRAND TLDs cannot be used for scenarios other than those specifically covered by Specification 13.” (https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+8+May+2014)

The rationale is that it is premature now to make suggestions about the rules for future rounds of TLDs. I am still hopeful that we can initiate a "Round 2 Working Group” in London, and we might take this issue up then, but we would prefer to leave future rules out of this particular motion.

      Bret

--
Bret Fausett, Esq. • General Counsel, Uniregistry, Inc.
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 200 • Playa Vista, CA 90094-2536
310-496-5755 (T) • 310-985-1351 (M) • bret at nic.sexy
— — — — —