[council] A way forward on the Specification 13 question

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-Systems.net
Thu May 8 13:13:54 UTC 2014

Having reflected on the policy implications of the proposed motion, I
would like to propose to  amend the resolved clauses of the motion to
read as follows:

-----
  1.  that the */proposed /*right to only use up to three exclusive
registrars, as contained in Specification 13 is inconsistent with
Recommendation 19 as (i) the language of this recommendation of the
final report of the GNSO does not stipulate any exceptions from the
requirements to treat registrars in a non-discriminatory fashion and
(ii) the GNSO new gTLDs Committee discussed potential exceptions at the
time, but did not include them in its recommendations, which is why the
lack of an exception cannot be seen as an unintended omission, but a
deliberate policy statement;

  2.  that the Council does not object to the implementation of
Specification 13 /*subject to the removal of the clause allowing a
Registry */*/Operator to designate up to three exclusive Registrars. /*

  3. that the Council requests the ICANN Board to implement appropriate
safeguards for /*this and */future new gTLD application rounds to ensure
that Recommendation 19 is not eroded and that any rights granted to
.BRAND TLDs cannot be used for scenarios other than those specifically
covered by Specification 13;

  4. that the Council reserves the right to initiate a policy
development process, potentially resulting in Consensus Policy affecting
both existing and future TLDs, */to assess whether /**/exceptions to
Recommendation 19 /**/*/or any subsequent provisions /*should be
allowable in this circumstance, and under what criteria future requests
would be considered. /*

-----

Changed/added language is marked in bold-cursive for easier reference.

The amendments take into consideration the various concerns voiced by
many individuals including myself on the council list in the past weeks.
The amended motion would clarify the policy position of the council
while at the same time creating a way forward for the community to find
a practical solution. It avoids the hollowing-out of policy
recommendations at the request of any one interest but offers a
constructive path to address any concerns with the existing policy
recommendation.

Best regards,

Volker Greimann