[council] Working Groups for non PDP purposes

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu May 8 18:40:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

I happen to be re-reading the GNSO Operating procedures in preparation
for one of those newcomer webinars.  Always good to have a refresher.

I see nothing in it that prohibits us from creating a Working Group to
resolve any issue we wish to resolve, even if it is not a PDP based Wg.

So my question becomes, why don't we quickly charter WGs to resolve any
of these interrupt issues.  We can charter a group with a narrow
question, a time limit and the resources to make a recommendation to the
council.  That would at least give the council the ability to then take
a vote based on a bottom-up process that looked into the issue.

Just a thought. This could give us a basis to work on.

We might need some SCI assistance, not sure yet, to refine a couple of
points to make this something that can occur quickly, such as voting on
such a charter between meetings (the voting between meetings is already
request already pending in the SCI), but unless I am mistaken we have no
barrier to using our WG guidelines to actually get bottom-up work done
outside of PDP constraints and time tables.  Also, unless a WG is a PDP
WG, it does not need to include the various stages of issues report,
initial report etc.  It can go from a GNSO Council Leadership
constructed Charter, to an emergency meeting to vote on formation in
less that the gap between two meetings.

While this would not apply to creating policy which still requires a
PDP, it could well resolve issues of whether something was consistent
with policy.  And could certainly work on issues to do with governance
and transition.

Just a thought.

avri