[council] Slides and further information on the IDN Variant Project

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu May 8 19:58:02 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

Here is the link to the slides that I referred to during the Council meeting
earlier today:
http://singapore49.icann.org/en/schedule/wed-idn-variant-tld/presentation-id
n-variant-tld-26mar14-en.pdf

Two fundamental ³takeaways² from the first update today that I hope was
clear are: (1) IDN variants will NOT be implemented or introduced into the
root zone until all community work on the necessary code point repertoire
and on generating the Label Generation Rules (LGR) for the 17 identified
scripts is completed; and (2) a sufficient number of technical and
linguistic experts (per the calls for such that were issued last year) are
recruited from the community to help develop the code point repertoire and
LGRs, including integrating them.

As noted on the call, we will be scheduling a full primer (introductory,
background, issue overview) session on this topic for the GNSO Council and
community soon, hopefully before London. As with the regular staff updates,
this is another follow up step from the discussions in Singapore.

We will be sure to inform the Council and community once we have managed to
schedule the primer session. In the meantime, here is ICANN¹s background
page on the IDN Variant Project:
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/idn/variant-tlds

Cheers
Mary