[council] GAC Proposal on Geo Names - extended deadline in discussion

Heather Forrest Heather.Forrest at acu.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 02:07:00 UTC 2014

Dear Council colleagues,

As co-chair of the Cross-Community WG on Country and Territory Names, I have been updated as to discussions within the GAC around extending the comment period on the GAC Proposal on Geographic Names to the end of December. As the Geo Names Proposal originates from individual members within a sub-group of a GAC working group, it seems that the request for more time is motivated by broader GAC interest in a full and robust discussion on this and to more fully and transparently engage with the community, including a session in Singapore.

No decisions have yet been made but I assume this will happen soon given the current comment deadline is next Friday 13th.

I bring this to Council's attention; if we wish to comment on the possible extension as a group or as individual constituencies, we should do so.

I personally support the extension, as I believe that clearer lines of communication with the GAC and a greater willingness to have a real dialogue can only be beneficial and avoid downstream surprises. Various members of the WG on Country and Territory Names are working on responses and the time could support more informative comments.

Best wishes,

Heather