[council] questions re IGO/INGO motion

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 4 14:35:45 UTC 2014

I had missed Thomas' original request, so this is really late!

My reading of the NGPC letter is:

- For the RCRC, what is being requested is that the country names (up
to 2 language versions) be prohibited from registration at the 2nd
level, with the possible exception of registration by the RCRC
organization in question. If there are any existing registrations,
they will continue to exist, but if they expire or are otherwise
cancelled or deleted, the new rule applies.

- For the IGOs, what is being requested is that post 90 days,
registrations of the "protected" acronyms be allowed without a claims
notice being sent to the prospective registrant, but that after the
registration, the TMCH (or some entity) must advise the IGO that the
registration has taken place.

Is this interpretation correct?

Alan