[council] motion for IGO-INGO WG charter amendment

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Apr 7 16:43:42 UTC 2015

As Co-Chair of this IGO I’m adding Mary Wong as she drafted the language of this amended portion of the Charter in consultation with the Chairs – and I welcome any further light she can shed.

The purpose of the amendment is to give the WG more latitude in circumscribing the list of IGOs that are eligible for whatever final recommendations we make, as we have preliminarily determined that only those IGOs that have exercised their rights to trademark regime protection under Article 6ter have sufficient globally recognized legal rights to achieve standing. The original Charter language covered a broader group of IGOs and gave us no latitude to narrow it down.

Best to all, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW