[council] Request for GNSO Council to appoint/endorse GNSO experts to the new IDN Guidelines Working Group

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Aug 6 16:25:17 UTC 2015

Dear Councilors,

I write to follow up on the note below, to request that the Council discuss
and decide on candidates it wishes to endorse, on behalf of the GNSO, to
join the new Working Group that will revise the 2011 IDN Implementation
Guidelines. So far the following nominations have been made:
* Chris Dillon (NCSG)
* Christian Dawson (ISPCPC)
* Jian Zhang (RySG)
* Dennis Tan (RySG)
* Edmon Chung (RySG)
* Kal Feher (RySG)
ICANN staff supporting this new Working Group has confirmed that the
original number of three GNSO representatives to the Working Group was
suggested based on the composition of earlier groups that reviewed the
Guidelines, so the Council may endorse additional appointees if necessary.
However, it is important that all GNSO-endorsed appointees have relevant
expertise in the following areas, as relevant for the second level of the
DNS:
* DNS and IDNA protocols
* IDN language or script tables, including variants and label level rules
* IDN policy
* IDN implementation
* IDN label registration process and registration data
* IDN related SSR issues, including string similarity
* IDN usability challenges and universal acceptance
Three of the four RySG nominees have already kindly provided staff with
their resumes/qualifications.

As the IDN Program staff would like to proceed with the formation of the
Working Group (which will also have representatives from the ccNSO, ALAC and
SSAC), it will be very much appreciated if the Council can reach a decision
soon. Given that the next Council meeting will not take place till
September, you may wish to consider email discussions as sufficient. You may
wish also to request that the other candidates send in their
resumes/qualifications ­ either to Sarmad (cc¹d here) or me ­ and we can
compile them into a packet for your review by next week. Please let us know
if you have objections to this suggested approach.

For your easy reference, the Call for Community Experts and their necessary
qualifications can be found here:
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-07-20-en.

Thanks and cheers
Mary