[council] - Preliminary Issue Report - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Aug 25 16:42:17 UTC 2015

Respectfully disagreeing, it is the position of the BC that the comment period should be initiated immediately following the Council call of September 3rd, and that the comment period should be for 60 days.

Publication on August 31st will render  null and void this item on the proposed Council agenda for September 3:
                Item 4: COUNCIL DISCUSSION & DECISION - Public Comment Period for New gTLDs Subsequent Procedures Preliminary Issue Report (15 minutes)
                At its July 2015 meeting, the GNSO Council approved the staff request<http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg17350.html> for an extension of the deadline for publication of the Preliminary Issue Report on New gTLDs Subsequent Procedures. The extension was viewed as necessary given the number of potential topics that had been identified by the New gTLDs Subsequent Procedures Discussion Group and the need to develop a proposed framework for handling those topics in a possible PDP. The Council had also discussed briefly the possible benefits of having an extended public comment period in view of the community interest in this matter. Here the Council will discuss the ramifications of extending the public comment period and decide whether or not to recommend moving forward with the idea.
4.1 - Update and presentation of possible timelines (Steve Chan)
4.2 - Council discussion
4.3 - Council decision and next steps

Publishing for only 40 days will close out the comment period prior to the Dublin ICANN meeting, at which the community can be more fully informed about the Preliminary Issue Report.

Really, with the second round at least several years off, what is the rush when all we are talking about is a one month delay of Council consideration of the Final Report, when that approval can still be accomplished this calendar year?

Thank you for your consideration.

Best to all, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC