[council] FW: GNSO review of Third Draft Proposal

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Sat Dec 26 11:00:11 UTC 2015

Hi James,

 Thanks for this.

 I did receive an e-mail from one of our hard working colleagues asking if the NCSG opinion was not, in fact, merely a composite of the NPOC and NCUC opinions. Actually, the answer to that is 'no'. The noncommercial space is a bit different than the others to work in. Although most of our NCSG members belong to the NPOOC, the NCUC or both,  similar in some ways to the CSG, we do have members who belong to neither constituency and instead are members of the NCSG only, similar to members in the CPH SGs. In addition, the leadership of the NCSG, NPOC and NCUC are generally different and as with our Councillors, who are not normally bound on their votes, leaders of these groups generally have freedom of conscience in their actions. For example, in it's CCWG comments the NPOC approved of all twelve recommendations, the NCSG did not approve of four,  yet Sam Lanfranco, who is both the Chair of the NPOC policy committee and an appointee to the NCSG PC,  joined in declaring consensus approving the NCSG comment.

 Each NCSG Councillor is elected at the SG level and is charged with representing on Council all members be they NPOC, NCUC or unitary NCSG members. In doing so, we obviously consult with the members themselves and the elected leadership of all three groups. I hope this better explains why certain structural  issues that have arisen recently might be a bit more salient for us in the NCSG than for Councillors from groups with a more unitary remit.

 If you could re-submit your message with the noncommercial links as follows it would be much appreciated:

  Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG)
 Survey Response - http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-30nov15/msg00076.html

  Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC), Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group
Comment - http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-30nov15/msg00069.html

 Non-Profit Organizations Constituency (NPOC), Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group
Survey Response - http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-30nov15/msg00051.html

 Thanks James. Here's hoping that Santa was good to you and your family and that everyone on Council, s well as our fine staff,  is having a wonderful and peaceful holiday season.

 Kind Regards,

 Ed Morris