[council] Draft GNSO statement on IANA transition

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Feb 23 22:59:12 UTC 2015

Jonathan:

Members of the Business Constituency seem to be generally supportive of the sentiments contained in the draft Statement. However, I am being asked two questions in regard to it:

1.       What is the overall purpose of issuing the Statement?

2.       What is the effect of a Constituency endorsing the statement - and, in particular, does it replace the views of any constituency or SG or preclude a more nuanced and detailed future statement by them?

Once I have those answers I should be able to indicate whether the BC can support and/or be listed as a signatory.

Thanks and best regards,
Philip

PS-This paragraph of the Statement, as modified by you and James, has two typos:
"Given [it's] its co-ordination and policy management role within the GNSO, the GNSO Council remains committed to assisting the work within CWG, CCWG and the ICG in order that the community may ultimately deliver a sound, comprehensive and consensus proposal for the transition of the IANA function and one that will uphold the principles set forth in the NTIA announcement, and fully meet the needs of the global Internet community."

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050