Proposed way forward (Re: [council] RE: IDN Implementation Guidelines)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Mon Jan 19 21:03:34 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Given that the 31 January deadline is approaching quickly, staff would like
to suggest a possible way forward for the GNSO in respect of providing the
requested input into the pending update of the IDN Implementation
Guidelines.

Since Edmon has already volunteered to assist in the effort, we would like
to suggest that a small group of interested Councilors and community members
join him to: (1) provide Akram Atallah (GDD President) and Sarmad Hussain
(IDN Programs Senior Manager) with an expected date by which the GNSO input
will be provided; and (2) develop (as requested) a list of issues to be
reviewed as part of the update of the Guidelines. I attach a proposed draft
letter to Akram that can be sent by the group, assuming the Council approves
this plan.

As a reminder, these Guidelines concern the possibility that implementation
of IDNs at the second level may create issues relating to cybersquatting and
consumer confusion. It will therefore be critical for all of the GNSO¹s
constituencies and stakeholder groups who are concerned about these issues
to contribute to scoping the review, and participating in the review when it
takes place. As such, compiling a list of issues from the GNSO community for
consideration as part of that scoping exercise would be extremely helpful
and potentially important. You may recall that this topic was the subject of
some lively discussion among the Council at the Los Angeles meeting.

If the suggested approach is unobjectionable, this item will be placed on
the consent agenda for the Council¹s 29 January meeting, to ensure timely
notification to Akram and his staff, and to enable the group of volunteers
to begin their work. As a reminder, Sarmad is due to provide his regular
briefing/update to the GNSO during the GNSO¹s Working Sessions in Singapore
as well.

Staff will also reach out to individual Councilors and community members who
have expressed interest in the effort, to facilitate diverse representation
within the small group.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong