[council] For your action: GNSO appointees to the new IDN Guidelines Working Group

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Jul 22 02:11:07 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

Following from the discussion with Sarmad Hussein at the Buenos Aires
meeting, please be informed that the IDN project team has now issued a Call
for Experts to join the new Working Group to review the IDN Guidelines: see
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-07-20-en. They are asking for
three GNSO members to the WG, which must be endorsed by their respective
SO/ACs ­ and ideally applications should be sent in by 3 August.

I¹d be happy to bring this up during AOB on the Council call this week, but
in the meantime it would be good if you and your respective SG/Cs could
think about who the GNSO could appoint. As I explained in Buenos Aires, this
WG was supposed to build on a list of issues identified by the GNSO and the
ccNSO; unfortunately, although a small group of community volunteers was
formed in February, there has been no discussion or input provided by that
group (which has been dormant).

Nevertheless, one possibility is of course to endorse those volunteers from
that small group should they indicate interest. Given the importance of this
issue, we hope that the Council will give the matter due and timely
consideration.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong