[council] Motion to extend term of GNSO liaison to the GAC

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Fri Jun 5 16:25:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

My understanding has always been that the two are interconnected (the GNSO liaison to the GAC and the work of the GAC-GNSO Consultative Group “CG”). If I recall correctly, the GNSO liaison to the GAC was a suggestion of that group with the intention of the liaison serving a role in the early engagement process.

Perhaps an updated briefing of that group’s work is in order, however, I’m not sure that much has been done since the last time the Council discussed this topic. Although the GAC has not (to my knowledge) specifically renewed its commitment to the group’s work, it hasn’t (again…, to my knowledge) indicated otherwise.

Recently, one of the outcomes of the CG has been that both the GNSO Council and the GAC have approved the launching of a pilot program to implement a set of recommendations targeting GAC early engagement in the GNSO’s PDP — specifically, the issue scoping phase of a PDP (http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/gac-cg-issue-scoping-27jan15-en.pdf). The GAC-GNSO CG has also begun working on a set of criteria to evaluate how effective these recommendations will be. That may prove to be helpful in any future analysis of the extent of success of this program. However, this will not be possible until a new PDP is launched, which has not happened since these recommendations were adopted.

It is also noteworthy to mention that the GNSO liaison to the GAC has specific duties to carry out in this issue scoping phase pilot program. Mason has been very helpful in the development of this role, so personally, I believe it would be beneficial to extend his term for another year.

Thanks.

Amr