[council] New generation gTLD Registration Directory Service to replace WHOIS and Motion

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Thu Nov 19 14:43:49 UTC 2015

Hi Susan, Carlos and all,

On previous discussion of the proposed charter and motion, a concern was raised regarding the absence of a rights impact assessment as one of requirements listed as part of the phase 1 (and subsequent phases) considerations.

This issue has been repetitively raised by Avri while she was on Council, and was also included in the NCSG input to the public comment period for the initial report. It was also included in the public comment report prepared by staff, but I am having trouble identifying where this was included in the proposed charter.

My thoughts on this are that, similar to the “Benefit Analysis” and “Risk Assessment” requirements listed under phase 1 deliberations, a rights impact assessment be included to involve identification of a rights impact assessment requirements in phase 1 of the PDP, followed by a design in phase 2, and guidance on how to proceed in phase 3.

I would appreciate us putting aside a few minutes to discuss this during today’s call. I would like to handle this by suggesting an amendment to the motion, specifically resolved clause 1, where along with approving the charter, a reference to a change in the charter be made to include a bullet under the phase 1 deliberations on page 69 saying something to this effect:

“Rights Impact analysis: Have registrants rights that may be affected been analyzed and considered?”

I’m not personally a fan of suggested amendments to motions at a late stage like this, but this isn’t a new topic. It’s been previously discussed on several occasions.

Thanks.

Amr