[council] In regard to the discussion on Public Interest during the Council call

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Sep 5 19:57:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

In respect to the point made by Amr and Volker that Public Interest is
hard because there are different viewpoints on it.  I would like to
point out that this is the case on many issues and that is pretty much
the point behind multistakeholder processes - to figure out a consensus
point, if any exists, on hard issues with multiple viewpoints.

As for the current issue with generic strings, it is perhaps appropriate
to take up the issue now to answer the issues so that the applications
that are blocked can become unblocked.   I do not believe we should
leave the issue pending until the next PDP of possible subsequent rounds
is completed.

avri

---