[council] FW: The Icann 55 Internet Proposal Is a Good One - The Wall Street Journal.

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Apr 4 03:51:25 UTC 2016

FYI—the WSJ just published an abridged version of my Letter to the Editor---

I thought you would be interested in the following story from The Wall Street Journal.

The Icann 55 Internet Proposal Is a Good One

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-icann-55-internet-proposal-is-a-good-one-1459710814

The Icann 55 Internet Proposal Is a Good One
The package just adopted at Icann 55 will provide a substantial improvement in the accountability of Icann’s board to its multistakeholder community.
April 3, 2016 3:13 p.m. ET
In “Stop Obama’s Internet Giveaway<http://www.wsj.com/articles/stop-obamas-internet-giveaway-1458505088>” (Information Age, March 21), Gordon Crovitz quotes a passage from my March 2 CircleID.com article in which I was critical of former Icann CEO Fadi Chehade’s less than complete response to a letter of inquiry from three senators. I had previously questioned the propriety of the December 2015 announcement that Mr. Chehade, while still an Icann employee and absent advance notice to the Icann board, had agreed to be co-chair of the advisory committee to China’s World Internet Conference (WIC). WIC appears to have the aim of supplanting Icann’s multistakeholder model (MSM) with multilateral government dominance, and to oppose the version of Internet Governance (IG) that abhors the type of state information censorship exemplified by China’s so-called “Great Firewall.”
While the quotation is correct, and while I respect Mr. Crovitz’s viewpoint, I wish to make clear that I am not opposed to the final IANA transition and accompanying Icann accountability proposals. The package just adopted at Icann 55 in Marrakesh is a sound blueprint that, while composed of interdependent compromises, will nonetheless provide a substantial improvement in the accountability of Icann’s board to its multistakeholder community if faithfully implemented over the coming months.
Philip S. Corwin
Washington

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC