[council] Letter to James Bladel_13Apr16.pdf

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Thu Apr 14 16:49:18 UTC 2016

Speaking for only for myself---

After numerous conversations on this, I’m coming around to Donna’s point of view regarding Meeting B.  Although maybe for different reasons.

If I can be blunt, I think if Meeting B is going to fail, it should fail because we followed the MSWG recipe to the letter, and not because we were tinkering with the ingredients while the cake was already in the oven. It is therefore entirely possible that we come out of Helsinki wondering “what was that all about?” and that a few years from now, we reminisce about Meeting B over drinks and laugh.

Or, the Helsinki meeting could launch a new era for ICANN, where leaner, light-weight events become more common.  Where the summer event is laser-focused on policy development, rather than taking on the broader universe of Internet  governance, commercial dealmaking,  and organizational restructure. Where we take this smaller event on the road to more remote venues and connect with the communities already in operation there.  This is the potential payoff of Meeting B.

The good news w.r.t. the PDPs that would be eligible for the day-long face-to-face meeting under the Pilot Program, is that they’re just starting up, and not at a critical point in their work plan where they are dependent upon the face to face to meet any deadline.  In some ways, this is fortuitous quirk of the calendar that allows us some flexility for a Meeting B “trial run.”  We can move these PDPs to 1- or 2-hours sessions in Helsinki, but preserve the full-day option for Meeting A and Meeting C (btw, this exact question was part of our discussion on the FY17 Budget).

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.  I realize the GNSO calendar is several orders of magnitude more complex than other SO/ACs, but I think we should do our best to track the original intent of Meeting B, with no small measure of courage for trying something new.

Looking forward to our discussion on this in a few hours.

Thanks—

J.