[council] Written version of the presentation by the Red Cross representatives on 14 April

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Apr 19 06:12:23 UTC 2016

Hello Carlos and everyone,

With respect to the list of Red Cross National Society names, I believe that what Charlotte is referring to is the list of those that were afforded interim protections (in the form of reservation via Specification 5 of the New gTLD Registry Agreement) by the ICANN Board in October 2014. The list can be viewed here: https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/reserved-names/ReservedNames.xml#red-cross. With respect to the table of national legislation protecting these National Society names, I believe she is referring to the illustrative list that the GAC sent to the GNSO in September 2011, which formed the basis for the subsequent Board resolution on interim protections: https://gacweb.icann.org/download/attachments/28278798/GAC%20advice%20on%20IOC%20and%20Red%20Cross%20Sep.%202011%20%281%29.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1384891299000&api=v2.

As far as I understand the Red Cross request, they are not asking - and to my knowledge have not asked in this context - for anything in relation to country codes. Instead, they are asking for permanent protections in all new gTLDs (including in this current round and subsequent rounds) for all the listed Red Cross National Society Names and the full names and acronyms of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). In this regard, it may be helpful to note that the GAC advised permanent protection be given to the National Society and two international movement full names; but that for the two international acronyms (ICRC and IFRC), they should be protected by the "same complementary cost-neutral mechanism to be worked out for IGO acronyms”.

If I may, I’d like to take this opportunity also to note that while the Red Cross presentation spoke of two PDPs on the issue, it was in fact a single PDP that included within its scope possible protections for IGOs, the Red Cross, the International Olympic Committee and other international non-governmental organizations (INGOs). It is possible that the Red Cross was thinking of the previous GNSO Drafting Team preceding the PDP that made certain recommendations on the topic, or the fact that there is an ongoing PDP that originated in one of the prior PDP’s recommendations concerning curative rights protection for IGOs and INGOs. Additionally, the Red Cross presentation notes a concern that one status update in the Briefing Note may be misleading in speaking of similar protective mechanisms for IGO acronyms and the Red Cross - we hope that in reading the entirety of the Briefing Note, the Council will view this in the context of the rest of the document, which lays out the specific language from the GAC advice on this point.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director