[council] Council Resolution Thursday 1 December 2016
nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Fri Dec 2 17:33:09 UTC 2016
Please find below the resolution the Council adopted at its meeting on Thursday 1 December 2016.
Acceptance of the Report from the GNSO Bylaws Implementation Drafting Team and next steps
1. On 30 June 2016 the GNSO Council approved the creation of a Drafting Team (DT) that was to work with ICANN staff to "fully identify all the new or additional rights and responsibilities that the GNSO has under the revised Bylaws, including but not limited to participation of the GNSO within the Empowered Community, and to develop new or modified structures and procedures (as necessary) to fully implement these new or additional rights and responsibilities";
2. In creating the DT, the GNSO Council requested that the DT provide the GNSO Council with an implementation plan "which will have the consensus of the Drafting Team, including any recommendations for needed further changes to ICANN Bylaws and/or GNSO Operating Procedures to enable effective GNSO participation in ICANN activities under the revised ICANN Bylaws, not later than 30 September 2016";
3. During the course of the DT's work, differing views were expressed on the role of the GNSO Council in the Empowered Community, leading to the production of a Final Report, which included a minority report on the role of the GNSO Council; and
4. The DT submitted its Final Report to the GNSO Council on 12 October 2016 (https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/bylaws-drafting-team-final-report-12oct16-en.pdf<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_drafts_bylaws-2Ddrafting-2Dteam-2Dfinal-2Dreport-2D12oct16-2Den.pdf&d=DgMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=Hchdaob3guh_Fi7mWiU5NmIlhIBiat9qCPRzlmH6OC0&s=coKOxD3ARwv8NI_Bd0wB1eBWzOdJLDpCdaN2VMqddK0&e=>). The GNSO Council has reviewed the DT's report.
1. The GNSO Council accepts the recommendations in the DT's Final Report as submitted.
2. The GNSO Council directs ICANN Policy Staff to draft proposed language for any necessary modifications or additions to the GNSO Operating Procedures and, if applicable, those parts of the ICANN Bylaws pertaining to the GNSO. The GNSO Council requests that ICANN Legal evaluate whether the proposed modifications are consistent with the post-transition Bylaws and report their findings to the GNSO Council.
3. The GNSO Council requests that members of the DT make themselves available for consultation by ICANN Policy Staff as needed.
4. The GNSO Council directs ICANN Policy Staff to post the DT Final Report, including the minority report, and all proposed modifications or new procedures for public comment for no less than 40 days. The GNSO Council expects that any comments received will be given meaningful consideration.
5. As resolved previously, the GNSO Council intends to subject the adoption of the proposed modifications to existing procedures and/or ICANN Bylaws to a GNSO Supermajority vote.
6. The GNSO Council thanks the DT for its collaborative effort, especially in view the limited time frame available
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you very much.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the council