[council] Action Items: GNSO Council meeting on 1 December 2016

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Mon Dec 5 23:00:58 UTC 2016

Dear Councillors,
Please find the action items, below and as attachment, arising from the GNSO Council meeting on 1 December 2016. Please take note of the action items coming out of the Council meeting last week and the proposed timing for delivering on these actions.  The next GNSO Council meeting is on the 15 December 2016.

1 December 2016

NOTE: Motion and document deadline for the next GNSO Council meeting – 5 December 2016

Item 4. COUNCIL VOTE – Adoption of Consensus Recommendations from the GNSO Bylaws Drafting Team

Voting result:

·       Motion (as amended – see https://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg19515.html) PASSED unanimously

Action items:

·       Policy staff to draft proposed language for modifications/additions to the GNSO Operating Procedures and, if applicable, those parts of the ICANN Bylaws pertaining to the GNSO (IN PROCESS)

·       Drafting Team members to be available for consultation by staff as needed

·       ICANN Legal to evaluate whether the proposed modifications are consistent with the post-transition Bylaws and report to the GNSO Council.

·       Staff to post the DT Final Report, including the minority report, and all proposed modifications or new procedures for public comment for no less than 40 days (NOTE: following close of public comment forum, Council to review all public comments submitted and decide on next steps; GNSO Council intends to adopt any new/amended procedures by Supermajority vote)

·       Staff to notify DT of voting result (DONE)

Item 5. COUNCIL VOTE – GNSO Council Response to the Board on gTLD Policy Matters related to the GAC Communique from Hyderabad

Voting result:

·       None (Motion DEFERRED to 15 December Council meeting)

Action items:

·       Draft response to be circulated by the group of volunteer Councilors working on the draft in advance of the next Council meeting

Item 6: COUNCIL VOTE – Approval of Letter to the ICANN Board concerning Implementation Issues with Part C of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy

Voting result:

·       None (Motion WITHDRAWN following Council agreement to send amended (second version of) draft letter circulated by Darcy Southwell to the Board)

Action item:

·       Letter to be sent to ICANN Board (DONE – letter now published on ICANN Correspondence Page)

Item 7. COUNCIL VOTE – Adoption of Proposed Implementation Plan for Recommendations relating to the 2014 GNSO Review

Voting result:

·       None (Motion DEFERRED to 15 December Council meeting)

Action items:

·       Webinar to provide overview of proposed plan to be scheduled (DONE – scheduled for Thursday 8 December at 1400 UTC)

Item 8. COUNCIL DISCUSSION – GNSO Council Response to Proposed Scope of the Forthcoming Registration Directory Services (RDS) Review (formerly the Whois Review)

Action items:

·       Susan Kawaguchi and Keith Drazek to work on draft response, incorporating points raised during Council discussion (including suggestions to include strategy for coordinating all ongoing Whois-related efforts, consult past Review Team members, and expand membership beyond past Review Team members) and circulate draft to Council list by COB on Monday 5 December

·       Council leadership and staff to notify responsible ICANN staff that a GNSO Council response should be forthcoming by Monday 12 December

Item 9. COUNCIL DISCUSSION – GNSO Council Response to Questions from the CCWG-Accountability Co-Chairs concerning Work Stream 2

Action items:

·       Councilors to review draft response that was circulated and send comments to Council list; aim to finalize and send the response to the CCWG-Accountability Co-Chairs before the next Council meeting

·       Staff to contact SG/C chairs to ensure they are clear on the request, and suggest that SG/C responses be sent directly to the CCWG-Accountability Co-Chairs and the relevant rapporteurs

Item 10: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Selection of GNSO Representatives to the Security, Stability & Resiliency Review Team

Action items:

·       Susan Kawaguchi and Ed Morris to circulate draft proposed uniform selection criteria and process to Council list by Friday 9 December

·       Council to consider using suggested criteria/process to select GNSO representatives to the SSR-RT2 early in the new year

·       GNSO leadership team to communicate this proposed approach to staff supporting SSR-RT2 as well as other SO/ACs

Item 11: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Planning for ICANN58

Action items:

·       Council to prepare an initial standard GNSO calendar for Meetings A, B and C (showing what the expected, blocked-out GNSO sessions are and allowing time for PDP face to face meetings)

·       Council leadership to take that standardized GNSO calendar into the next SO/AC planning meeting


Action items:

·       Council leadership to review rotation of Council meetings based on current geographic location of Council members (DONE – the current two time slots represent the best options to share the pain across the different time zones)

·       Council to confirm proposed meeting dates and rotating times for GNSO Council meetings during 2017

Please let me know if I missed anything or if you have questions.

Thank you.

Kind regards,



Nathalie Peregrine
Specialist, SOAC Support (GNSO)
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
Email: nathalie.peregrine at icann.org <nathalie.peregrine at icann.org>
Skype: nathalie.peregrine.icann

Find out more about the GNSO by taking our interactive courses<learn.icann.org/courses/gnso> and visiting the GNSO Newcomer pages<http://gnso.icann.org/sites/gnso.icann.org/files/gnso/presentations/policy-efforts.htm#newcomers>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20161205/b997a70b/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Action Items from GNSO Council meeting of 1 Dec 2016 .docx
Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Size: 112076 bytes
Desc: Action Items from GNSO Council meeting of 1 Dec 2016 .docx
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20161205/b997a70b/ActionItemsfromGNSOCouncilmeetingof1Dec2016.docx>

More information about the council mailing list