[council] For your review - GNSO Review of GAC Communique Hyderabad

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Mon Dec 12 21:30:13 UTC 2016

Paul,

Setting apart what the role of ICANN and contracted parties are in this matter, we need to be aware that there are fundamental limitations that would prevent any of such entities to do what is described in the text.

Currently, there is no Computer Science standard to define what is an abuse, its taxonomies or how to report them; it's not much different from the famous obscenity definition: "I know it when I see it.". So even if we somehow put ICANN in the role of making such standards, which would be unprecedented since standards in this area until now came from ISO, IETF, M3AAWG and APWG, it would fail miserably due to lack of a theoretical framework to base such standards on.

That's why most of the work in the Information Security field refer to "practices"; this allow for not hardcoding a phenomena that is always fast evolving and be more effective by being more adaptable.
I would even challenge the use of "best practices" in the context below since it would require a greater level adoption in the field, but this is a confusion that is already widely spread in a number of ICANN documents, unfortunately.

Rubens