[council] RE: RC / IGO / CRP Updates

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Sat Dec 24 00:29:06 UTC 2016

James:

Thanks for this update.

If there is interest in making the IGO CRP report and recommendations the subject of a session in Copenhagen I would be happy to participate in that and I believe that Petter will feel the same. By that point in time the public comment period on the preliminary report and recommendations will have closed and the WG will be evaluating them and preparing a final report for Council consideration.

My only caution in regard to “some sort of facilitated discussion between the GNSO and GAC” is that it must be clearly understood that GNSO policy recommendations and GAC advice are not to be regarded as having equivalent weight – the MSM places the ICANN community in the active lead role on developing DNS policy while governments having a responsive advisory role.

With that, happy holidays and best wishes for the new year to all Council members.

Very best,
Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC