[council] FW: [gnso-chairs] DMPM - Community Budget Request

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Wed Feb 17 01:54:17 UTC 2016

Councilors -

Donna, Heather and I had a chance to discuss this request (attached) today, and ask questions of Berry & Staff.  At the conclusion of our discussions, we decided to go forward with submitting this Community Budget Request.

However, given the increased scrutiny being given to costs associated with policy development work, we raised some specific issues associated with this budget request and the DMPM Pilot Program.  Specifically, we examined the amount being requested ($50,000USD) and how this figure was calculated.  Unfortunately, because much of this work is new, this amount is a best estimate.

Also, we've asked for a mid-year check in to track actual expenditures versus the budgeted amount.  But given the status of the DMPM project, and the fact that the Council previously approved this as part of its work in Dublin, we will proceed with the submission.

Below is some additional context from Berry.  If folks have questions or would like to discuss further, we will try to save some time on our agenda Thursday.

Thank you--

J.

Please find attached a completed Community Budget Request form as part of implementation for the DMPM recommendations passed by the GNSO Council October 2015 (http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201510).  This will be posted COB Monday 15 February to meet the deadline (https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56987383).

You will recall, that one of the approved DMPM recommendations was the launch of a pilot effort whereby the GNSO community and GNSO WGs may submit requests for Data & Metrics in the deliberation of policy related issues.  Part of the implementation of the recommendations is an update to the GNSO Operating Procedures containing the request process and request form.  The updated procedures should be published shortly.  Also as part of implementation, this budget request is an attempt to secure funds in support of the pilot and it is part of a strategy to give the GNSO Policy team the opportunity to manage future DMPM requests which will also provide an opportunity for some budget flexibility in facilitating the pilot requests.  The budget request also allows the pilot to set a stake in the ground that can then be referenced later, if necessary, in a formal set of comments submitted in reaction to the overall FY17 Ops Plan and Budget proceedings.