[council] For your review - draft motion and approach CCWG-Accountability

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Feb 26 09:53:42 UTC 2016

Hello Edward,

>>  I've been in communication with our Member, a few members of the NCSG PC and one other NCSG Councillor and it appears that the preference in the NCSG, at least amongst some,  is that we hold separate votes on each of the twelve recommendations. I thought about holding off on letting everyone know but figured it might help for planning purposes if staff and our leadership knew of our intent.

>>  As the wording of the Proposed Approach indicated that voting on each recommendation individually would be possible if requested by any Council member please note that is my intent to make such a request and I do not expect that intention will change between today and our open Council meeting in Marrakech.

There is a little bit of history of a similar approach:

In September 2007, the GNSO passed a resolution to send the new gTLD policy recommendations to the Board:

http://www.gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#200709

The new gTLD report contains 20 policy recommendations:

http://www.gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm

The NCUC submitted a minority statement on

Recommendation 6:

"Strings must not be contrary to generally accepted legal norms relating to morality and public order that are recognized under international principles of law.

Examples of such principles of law include, but are not limited to, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, intellectual property treaties administered by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and the WTO Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property (TRIPS). "

See;  http://www.gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm#_Toc48210873

And on

Recommendation 20:

" An application will be rejected if an expert panel determines that there is substantial opposition to it from a significant portion of the community to which the string may be explicitly or implicitly targeted. "

See:   http://www.gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm#_Toc48210877

Avri Doria as a nominating committee appointee to the GNSO council also submitted a minority report at:

 http://www.gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm#_Toc48210874\

All other recommendations received unanimous support.

 Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

Former chair of the GNSO Council