[council] Social: Helsinki

Johan Helsingius julf at julf.com
Fri Jun 17 13:17:30 UTC 2016

Mason,

> Nice idea, Julf.  I get in Saturday and could use some ideas for
> something to see/do that afternoon.

"Must see" things are the Rock Church (Temppeliaukio),
http://www.helsinginkirkot.fi/en/churches/rock-church-temppeliaukio
very close to our meeting venue, and the market square
and the neoclassical administrative centre around the
Senate Square, with government buildings, main building
of University of Helsinki, and Cathedral, but that is
something we can check out either Monday night (as the
City Hall where the Monday reception is held is in
the middle of the area) or Tuesday on our way to the
Council dinner.

On Saturday, most Finns will be nursing their hangovers
from Midsummer Night (Friday), so museums and art
galleries should be quiet and empty. :)

Here is a University of Helsinki memo on Midsummer
in Helsinki:
http://blogs.helsinki.fi/welcometouh/2012/06/21/juhannus-magical-midsummer-in-finland/

For art museums, there is the Ateneum art museum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ateneum
with Finnish classical art, the Sinebrychoff Art Museum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinebrychoff_Art_Museum
with older European art, and Kiasma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiasma
with modern art. All are in architecturally interesting
buildings - but Helsinki is not Paris, Vienna or
London :)

There is also a smallish Design Museum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Museum,_Helsinki,
in the same block as the Museum of Finnish Architecture,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Finnish_Architecture

There are lots of interesting Art Noveau buildings in Punavuori
(west-southwest of Scandic Marski hotel), Ullanlinna
and Katajanokka (south).

Something that is easy to miss out is that there are lots of
underground passages (appreciated by locals on cold winter
days). Easiest way to see them is to go down to the
underground levels at Forum shopping mall, central
railway station, or Sokos or Stockmann department stores.

Main shopping streets are Aleksanterinkatu and
Esplanadi - the esplanade leading down to the old
harbour / market square. Just before market square
you can drop in at Cafe/restaurant Kappeli
http://www.kappeli.fi/index.php?id=frontpage
where the Helsinki cultural leaders plotted
independence (and got very drunk) in the late
1800's.

	Julf