[council] WSIS session on new gTLDs

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:47:06 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Thank you very much, Marika, for proving this information. The WSIS Forum
is the largest meeting on ICT for development and one of the major events
in the Internet Governance calendar, in which UN organisations and all
stakeholders get together to review the implementation of the goals set
forth by the World Summit on the Information Society. Sessions have
considerable visibility and attendance.

I see the presence of ICANN in this meeting with very positive eyes. It is
very important to dialogue with other organisations in the internet
ecosystem. However, I find that the framing of this particular session is
not adequate, as it seems to take for granted the work that we are doing in
the GNSO, particularly in the WG on new gTLD subsequent procedures.

I understand that GDD may want to talk about the lessons learned from a
staff standpoint (taking into consideration the reviews that have been
commissioned), but these reviews should be an element to be fed into the
policy development process, which is the right mechanism to identify
lessons learned in a holistic manner and define the way forward.

The GNSO is still in the process of drawing lessons from the first round
and defining if a second round is desirable and what should be improved for
it to take place in a smooth manner. I do not think we can say that "ICANN
has embarked on a preparation for the second round", before the GNSO takes
its time to develop policy. I understand the wish to "heat" the market for
new gTLDs, however, this framing is just inaccurate and undermines the role
of the GNSO from an internal policy perspective and from a public relations
standpoint.

I would like to suggest that we include this update we have received from
staff in the agenda of the next GNSO call. I would also like to suggest, on
a personal capacity, that GDD considers withdrawing the proposal or
changing the framing of this session in order for it to reflect the stage
of discussions that we find ourselves now. If the second option is
preferred, it would be good that GDD works together with the chairs of the
WG on new gTLD subsequent procedures to reframe and organize this session.

Thanks and best wishes,
Marília

--
*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio